10 Sustainable New Year’s Resolutions from EarthShare Texas
As we usher in the New Year, many of us reflect on the changes we’d like to make in our lives. This year, why not make resolutions that not only benefit you but also contribute to a healthier planet? EarthShare Texas invites you to join us in adopting 10 sustainable New Year’s resolutions that will make a positive impact on the environment. Let’s embrace a greener lifestyle together!
1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle:
From State of Texas Alliance for Recycling: Holiday Recycling Tips
Check out these suggestions on reducing, reusing, and recycling in your homes, offices, and communities around and after the holidays. Remember, when we all do a little – it adds up to A LOT!
- Make a commitment to proper waste management by separating recyclables from non-recyclables.
- Opt for products and gifts with minimal packaging or packaging that can be recycled.
2. Conserve Water:
From Galveston Bay Foundation: What You Can Do Quiz
Water is one of the Earth’s most precious resources. Do your part to conserve the beautiful and life-giving aquifers, lakes, rivers, and streams of our state by making conscious efforts everyday. Want to test your current water and energy conservation habits and get recommendations like the ones below? Take the Galveston Bay Foundation’s quiz to gain a better understanding of how to do your part!
- Fix leaks in faucets and pipes to prevent water wastage.
- Upgrade to water-saving appliances and fixtures.
- Develop the habit of turning off the tap while brushing your teeth or washing dishes.
3. Energy Conservation:
From National Wildlife Federation: Energy Efficiency: A Win for Wildlife, Your Wallet, and Public Health
There are so many great reasons to conserve energy on an individual level: it’s better for our physical and financial health, as well as the health of the environment around us! The National Wildlife Federation dives deeper into how this trifecta of positives can translate our conservation education into action. Here are some examples of changes you can make in 2024 that will improve your carbon footprint and benefit all Texans.
- Adjust thermostats to save energy and reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
- Embrace natural light during the day and make it a habit to turn off unnecessary lights at night.
- Embrace energy efficiency by using appliances and light bulbs with high energy ratings.
- Cultivate the habit of turning off lights, electronics, and appliances when not in use.
- Unplug chargers and electronics when they are not actively charging to save phantom energy.
4. Green Transportation:
From Sierra Club: Driving Less May Be As Easy As Riding a Bike—A Big Electric One
Environmental and public health organizations are often on the forefront of advocacy efforts supporting green transportation options. This article from Sierra Club reports that 2022 electric bike imports were up 40% from 2021 numbers, showing an increase in public interest for alternate transportation methods. Here are some examples of ways you can be more green on the move.
- Reduce your carbon footprint by walking, biking, carpooling, or using public transportation.
- Consider making the switch to electric or hybrid vehicles for a cleaner commute.
5. Mindful Consumption:
From Environmental Defense Fund: 5 ways your online shopping could be better for the environment
Mindful consumption is about choice. There’s often a perceived pressure to be perfect in our efforts to be more sustainable. EDF understands that it’s through commitment from policymakers, corporations, and individuals alike that we can affect real change in our buying habits, and offers some tips on how to structure your shopping to be more sustainable. Committing to making conscious choices when possible can make a big difference!
- Choose products with minimal environmental impact when making purchasing decisions.
- Opt for durable, long-lasting items over disposable ones.
- Support companies that prioritize sustainable practices and ethical production.
6. Plant Trees and Maintain Green Spaces:
From TreeFolks: Tree Planting and Care
We can all appreciate the cool shade of a tree on a hot summer day, but the Texas ecosystem needs our help to maintain healthy tree coverage and native plant populations. TreeFolks is here to help with a handy infographic to get you started on watering, mulching, pruning, and weeding your tree! Other ways you can act:
- Participate in local tree-planting initiatives to contribute to reforestation efforts.
- Support and engage with local parks and community gardens to maintain green spaces.
7. Eat Sustainably:
From Sustainable Food Center: 3 Ways You Can Deepen Your Connection to Our Local Food System
Food brings us together. When we make sustainable and local food choices, we can celebrate our traditions and communities while having a lasting impact on the environment. Check out this blog from our friends at Sustainable Food Center to learn how! More environmentally-friendly food tips below:
- Make conscious food choices by choosing locally sourced and seasonal foods.
- Reduce meat consumption and explore plant-based diets for a more sustainable and eco-friendly diet.
- Become connected to the growers and farmers in your area to expand your understanding of the food system you – and your produce – are a part of.
8. Reusable Products:
From Public Citizen: The Sneaky Plastic Waste We Produce
This article from Public Citizen highlights the urgent need for us to choose more reusable products in our daily lives – citing that nearly 30 billion plastic water bottles and 100 billion plastic bags are used in the U.S. annually. Luckily, there are so many options for reusable products – treat yourself to something you’ll love to use in 2024!
- Make a conscious effort to use reusable water bottles, shopping bags, and containers.
- Say no to single-use plastics, such as straws and utensils, to reduce plastic pollution.
9. Educate and Advocate:
From Citizens Environmental Coalition: Here in Houston Resource Library
Showcase your unique environmental passion and encourage your friends, families, and communities to get involved in work that makes a difference. The Citizens Environmental Coalition maintains a wide catalog of articles and other informational resources for Houston-based environmentalists as well as Eco-Enthusiasts and educators across the state – dive in and share the information they provide when you can!
- Stay informed about pressing environmental issues and share this knowledge with your community.
- Encourage others to adopt sustainable practices in their daily lives.
- Advocate for policies that promote environmental conservation at local and national levels.
10. Support Environmental Nonprofits
Join the EarthShare Texas community. One environment. One simple way to care for it.
Here’s how you can join our growing community and amplify our collective impact.
- Stay in the know by subscribing to our newsletter.
- Make a tax-deductible donation.
- Become an Eco-Enthusiast.
By adopting these 10 sustainable New Year’s resolutions, you’ll not only contribute to a healthier planet but also inspire others to join the movement towards a more sustainable future. Let’s make 2024 a year of positive change for ourselves and our planet!
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our Green Resolutions blog from 2023.